DIY Dog Bed

The other day, my boyfriend and I were pulling a huge mattress out of our house. It was being replaced.

Suddenly the mattress got heavier. 20 Kilos heavier. We looked over our shoulders to see my dog, Inka, climbing on to the end of the mattress. The Tempur-Pedic softness had attracted her and she looked like she never wanted to leave the bed she had just claimed.

I decided to not throw it away just yet. Maybe I could make something from it. My first thought was that it was way too large and I wasn’t sure how I would cut through a mattress. The next day, I took out a knife, some thread and needle, a scissor and a mattress cover. 20 minutes later I had three, Tempur-Pedic dog beds without spending a cent!

I documented each of my steps:

Step 1 – Remove the cover and cut off the plastic part.

There is always another thing cover over the mattress. Simply unzip this. I kept the plastic part that was on the bottom and cut it off with scissors to separate it. Put this on the side for later.

Step 2 – Draw the lines you want to cut.

In my house we have 4 dogs, so I wanted to make the most out of this. Of course you can choose how many beds you want to make out of your bed – I chose 3.

Step 3 – Cut! 

Cutting a mattress (at least the one I had), was so much easier than I expected. It cut like butter and I was able to do it with one hand.

Step 4 – Cut the plastic and sew it on.

To prevent any moisture from my dogs seeping into the mattress and making it stink faster, I sewed on the plastic part. Take the plastic you put aside earlier and cut it into – in this case – three pieces. I then sewed these onto the top of the future dog beds, so that it is directly under where my dogs will be sleeping. I only sewed it on the four corners, to save time.

Step 5 – Put a cover on!

Now this step is entirely up to you. You could take some awesome fabric and sew something that fits the bed and can be taken on and off with a zipper. That would look amazing! Since I was pressed for time and this project was so spontaneous, I simply used an older mattress cover and covered the bed with that. I fastened it underneath with some hair bands (like I said – very spontaneous) and ta-da! I will find something better in the future, but for now it it totally works.

But most importantly – Inka loves it. It’s so cushion-y and comfortable… Here she is enjoying her new Queen bed.

This post is also available in: English (Englisch)

Kommentar verfassen